What’s in a starter pack?
We provide essential household items such as bedding and linen, kitchen utensils and equipment, crockery and cutlery, cleaning equipment and supplies. See the Starter Pack page.

Who are starter packs for?
Starter packs are given to people who have been homeless and are about to take up a permanent tenancy. Packs are not provided for people moving into temporary accommodation.

What goods can I donate?
Anything that would be suitable for a Starter Pack ie new or good quality second-hand items that are in a re-usable condition.

Do you accept furniture?
No, if you have furniture to donate, please contact Home Basics in Walkerburn: walkerburn@homebasics.org.uk Tel: 01896 870355

Do you accept electrical equipment?
We can only accept new appliances i.e. electric kettles, toasters and radio/alarm clocks.

I have goods to donate. Can you collect them?
Yes, contact us and one of our collectors will be in touch with you to arrange a pick-up.

Can I donate money?
Yes, we accept one-off or regular donations. Contact us for how to donate; we can provide Gift Aid and Standing Order forms if required.

I want to volunteer. How can I help?
There are plenty of ways you can help:
Join our volunteers making up the starter packs at our centre in Selkirk; help to collect donated items; add some of the starter pack items to your regular shopping list; hold a fundraising event for Fresh Start Borders; or adopt us as your charity for a year.
Please contact us to discuss how you can volunteer with Fresh Start Borders.

What area does Fresh Start Borders cover?
Although we are based in Selkirk, starter packs have been delivered to addresses right across the Scottish Borders.

Who can be referred to Fresh Start Borders?
A person in the Borders who has been homeless and is moving into a permanent tenancy can be referred for a starter pack. If you work for an organisation that helps to re-house homeless people contact us for more information.

Can I make a referral to Fresh Start Borders?
Yes, if you work for the SBC homelessness service, a local housing association or an organisation that helps to re-house vulnerable people who have been homeless, contact us about referring.

How can I get a starter pack?
If you are about to move into a new permanent tenancy that has been organised for you by the Council, a housing association or other organisation / charity, ask your support worker to contact us about a pack.

Is the service confidential?
Yes, no names are given to Fresh Start Borders and the packs are delivered discreetly to the new tenant by their support worker.

Is Fresh Start Borders a registered charity?
Yes, we are registered in Scotland, Charity No SCO41071